[ltp] Harddrive errors

Tilmann Singer linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 19:24:09 +0100

Hi,

I was a happy A20p owner for over a year now, until a few days ago
after resuming the machine from suspended state I found the root
filesystem mounted read-only due to filesystem errors. Tries to
remount it read-write resulted in fsck errors and a thorough fsck
check yielded unrepairable errors, always occuring when accessing a
certain position on that partition.

So assuming the harddrive died I ordered a new one - a 40GB from
Toshiba, but to my astonishment it behaves the same: when accessing a
certain position on the first (inner) partition, e.g. with fsck -c,
the drive makes strange noises and puts out these messages on the
console:

first this one once:

hda: read_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

then those two continously:

hda: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
hda: read_intr: status=0x10 { SectorIDNotFound }

(maybe with typos because I had to copy them by hand)

This continues forever and the machine can only be stopped by pressing
the power button a few seconds.

It does not seem to be related to suspend issues, since the error is
invokable directly after a boot as well.

After some tries with the badblocks command I am now sure that this
occurs only when accessing a block between block #300000 and #400000
on the first partition, which has 5120002 blocks in total and is
20971.57MB big.

I did not put the old hard drive back in yet, but the error messges
looked the same as far as I can remember. Also the error only occured
when writing on the first (inner) partition - it was possible to copy
all the contents of that partition (90% full) to the other partition
of the same size without errors.

Also I found this in the syslog, at the time of the first failure:

Feb 26 17:05:35 localhost kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Feb 26 17:05:35 localhost kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, CHS=44049/0/88, sector=7602472
Feb 26 17:05:35 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:03 (hda), sector 7602472
Feb 26 17:05:35 localhost kernel: EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,3)): ext2_read_inode: unable to read inode block - inode=470652, block=950309
Feb 26 17:05:35 localhost kernel: Remounting filesystem read-only

I have no idea what's broken here - any hints?

Anything I can try before sending the laptop to ibm?

tia, til