[ltp] freezes with Redhat7.2/600E

Mark Nye linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 15:43:34 -0500

Hi All,

I'm new to the list, and am writing to introduce myself and ask a question.
My name is Mark Nye, and I live with my wife (Anna) and three computers (two
Macs and a Thinkpad) in Ithaca, NY. Recently I've decided to take the step
into the world of Linux, so...

Last week I downloaded and installed Redhat 7.2 on my 600E (6GB drive,
192megs of memory). I started by wiping the hard drive, creating a small DOS
partition for a minimum Windows98 install, then letting the Redhat installer
take care of the rest. Installation went smoothly, and the installer
recognized the video hardware. Upon reboot, X-Windows started without a
problem, the display looks great, and APM seems to be working flawlessly.

However, I am having one problem: frequent screen freezes, in the
neighborhood of two or three a day. When a freeze occurs, I can't kill the X
Windows session with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, and Ctrl-Alt-Delete doesn't do a
thing either. (I'm not currently networked, so can't log in remotely and
kill the process.) All that's left to do is power down the machine.

I've encountered a few online references to this problem -- including
possible fixes like changes to /etc/X11/XF86Config, downloading a fresh
version of X, or installing a different kernel module, etc. -- but have yet
to find a definitive solution. Of course, many of the "Linux with the 600E"
pages I can find are dealing with Redhat version 6.2.

Have any of you experienced this problem on a 600E? Any suggestions,
references, or help anyone could offer me would be greatly appreciated.
(please keep in mind that I'm EXTREMELY new to Linux) I promise to share
with the list when I have this bug worked out!

all the best,

Mark