[ltp] Re: Harddrive errors

Tilmann Singer linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 17:59:20 +0100

* Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> [20020310 18:02]:
> The original poster should probably download IBM's drive fitness test
> at http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/download.htm and test the
> various drives.  The drive is covered through the entire warranty
> period (I just had mine replaced for the second time... the first was
> broken on arrival).

Thanks to all for the numerous advices!

FYI:

I downloaded the testing program from above (amazing btw. that they
offer downloads for linux and windows all alike) - on the new Toshiba
hard drive it failed with "disposition code: 0x70" and a message like
"uncorrectable errors detected on non-ibm harddrive". When run on the
original IBM drive it first suggested to perform a "Sector Repair",
which ultimately failed, too, with a message "not all sectors could be
repaired".

Furthermore I tried out some kernels: 2.4.14, 2.4.17 and 2.5.6 - all
produced the same errors.

So since this looks like a controller or cable problem as someone here
stated before it seems like I'll have to send it to ibm.

til