[ltp] Slackware pcmcia nfs install?

John Heim linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:32:19 -0600

I'm a little fuzzy on doing a slackware install via a pcmcia network card.
I have a 755ce. I loaded pcmcia support via the pcmcia.dsk image. That
seemed to work. I'm not sure if I then still have to load network modules
via the network diskette. I tried and it probed for a network card about 30
different ways and didn't find my pcmcia network card.

Before I bought the pcmcia card I made sure it was in the list of supported
cards. There's a second network diskette image on the slack CD. Would that
be worth trying?

By the way, I gave up trying to get the serial port on my Thinkpad 755ce to
work. I'm blind and I wanted to do a serial console install but no matter
what I did the serial port wouldn't work.

So what I've been doing is to simultaneously install linux on a machine I'm
building for my wife and then type exactly the same thing on the Thinkpad.
Eventually I'm going to take the HD out of my wife's old machine and
install it in the new one. But in the mean time, the new machine has an old
1 Gb hard drive in it.

So I've got 4 machines running in my rec room. A linux machine with the
slackware CD mounted and exported via nfs. Then I've got the new PC
connected via a laplink cable to my windows machine. That way I can do a
serial console install on the new PC. And then, of course, I've got the
Thinkpad.

So far so good. I bot both machines to boot via the slack installation
diskette. I got pcmcia support loaded. (According to my wife the screens
say the same thing more or less.) But like I said, I cannot then get slack
to recognize my network card.

--
John G. Heim
WiscINFO Customer Service Coordinator