[ltp] TP600+Debian problems

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 05:08:23 -0600

Claudio Leite wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>  I'm no newbie to Linux but I am a newbie to laptops- I just got this
> TP600 (PII 300, 64mb) less than two weeks ago. My PCMCIA Ethernet has
> been working for a week now w/o problems, but as far as sound and the ACP
> modem go, it's been no luck.
>  At first, the MWAVE module wouldn't even find the hardware, but that was
> solved once I upgraded my BIOS to the latest revision. It finds the
> hardware and sets it up, but whenever I try to use minicom or any other
> utility it is very slow to respond- takes about 10 seconds for the initial
> "ATZ" to show up onscreen. Needless to say any attempts at PPP fail

The modem is sharing one of its IRQ's (probably 3) with something else.
In my TP600E, when I have a PCMCIA network card in that also uses IRQ 3
(can't get it to use anything else) I see the same problem.  When I
eject the card the mwave modem works fine.  I'm using 2.4.18, Debian
woody.

> miserably. I have the module from 2.4.17 and mwavemd from Debian woody (my
> system is 100% woody at the moment).
>  The sound hardware is not found at all by ALSA. I've followed every
> single instruction on every TP600 site I've found, but it still says
> "CS4236+ soundcard not found or device busy" even after setting all the
> IRQs and such. PNP is handled by the bios, pnpdump doesn't find any
> non-configured PNP devices.

The sound card isn't PNP, at least the ISAPNP function is disabled by
the BIOS.  Either build the ALSA driver without ISAPNP or use the
snd_isapnp=0 option when loading the module.  I can get the ALSA driver
to load, and the mixer works (I can play an audio CD), but I can't get
any PCM or FM sound out, nor can I record.  When I try to use aplay it
says: "aplay: xrun:864: read/write error" but everything looks good in
the /proc/asound/sndstat output.

> PS - after upgrading my BIOS, my hard drive now makes an annoying "clunk"
> sound after it writes. Has anybody else experienced this?

I'm using the latest BIOS too, but I don't notice any clunking.

wes schreiner