[ltp] TP600+Debian problems

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 06:42:01 -0600

Thomas Hood wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-03-28 at 06:08, wes schreiner wrote:
> > The modem is sharing one of its IRQ's (probably 3) with something else.
> > In my TP600E, when I have a PCMCIA network card in that also uses IRQ 3
> > (can't get it to use anything else) I see the same problem.  When I
> > eject the card the mwave modem works fine.  I'm using 2.4.18, Debian
> > woody.
>
> Such interrupt conflicts shouldn't be possible under Linux.

I agree, but dmesg says:

eth0: NE2000 Compatible: io 0x300, irq 3, hw_addr 00:20:E0:0E:27:8B

and the relevant line in /proc/interrupts (with the modem in use) is:

 3:	30	XT-PIC	pcnet_cs, serial

And I get the long delays in modem response.  Perhaps if I tell the
pcmcia stuff to leave irq 3 alone it can get the network card (an old
PreMax/Actiontek PE-200) to move, or else the mwave modem can be moved
to ttyS0.  This doesn't bother me now, I never use both devices at once.

> > The sound card isn't PNP, at least the ISAPNP function is disabled by
> > the BIOS.
>
> The sound device is configurable using the PnP BIOS.
>
> The ISAPNP driver does not seem to work on ThinkPads.
> You have to use the PnP BIOS to configure ISA PNP devices.

I wanted to try this, but every time I try lspnp I get:
lspnp: /proc/bus/pnp not available
My .config has CONFIG_PNP=y, and I've tried it CONFIG_ISAPNP=y, =m, and
not set, all to no avail.  I've tried it with Quick Boot (in Easy-Setup)
both enabled and disabled, but no luck.  Perhaps I need to use something
newer that the Debianized 2.4.18 kernel, perhaps an AC kernel?

I am able to get the OSS cs4232 driver to work by using the PS2 utility
to set PCIBUSPOWER to Disabled and putting the following lines in
modules.conf:

alias sound-slot-0 cs4232
alias char-major-14 cs4232
alias synth opl3
post-install cs4232 /sbin/modprobe "-k" "adlib_card" "ad1848" "uart401"
options -k cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0
options adlib_card io=0x388

With the above sound works (yay!) but I would really like to get the
ALSA drivers to work instead.  I guess I'll next try the latest AC
kernel.

wes