[ltp] TP600+Debian problems

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
29 Mar 2002 12:17:32 -0500

On Fri, 2002-03-29 at 07:42, wes schreiner wrote:
> dmesg says:
>   eth0: NE2000 Compatible: io 0x300, irq 3, hw_addr 00:20:E0:0E:27:8B
> and the relevant line in /proc/interrupts (with the modem in use) is:
>   3:	30	XT-PIC	pcnet_cs, serial

It looks as if the card is there, but no driver is loaded for it.
Hence the interrupt does not get reserved, and Linux gives the
IRQ away to the serial port, unaware that this results in a
conflict.  The solution is to put 'exclude irq 3' in
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts.

> I wanted to try this, but every time I try lspnp I get:
> lspnp: /proc/bus/pnp not available
> My .config has CONFIG_PNP=y, and I've tried it CONFIG_ISAPNP=y, =m, and
> not set, all to no avail.

What you need is CONFIG_PNPBIOS=y.  The pnpbios driver is
only available in -ac kernels, currently.  (You can also
use the old driver that is still provided with the pcmcia
modules, but that driver is buggy.)

> I've tried it with Quick Boot (in Easy-Setup)
> both enabled and disabled, but no luck.

Best to leave Quick Boot disabled.

> With the above sound works (yay!) but I would really like to get the
> ALSA drivers to work instead.

You might just ignore ALSA until Linux 2.6, which will have
ALSA built in.

--
Thomas