[ltp] TP600+Debian problems

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 07:27:13 -0600

Thomas Hood wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-03-29 at 07:42, wes schreiner wrote:
> > dmesg says:
> >   eth0: NE2000 Compatible: io 0x300, irq 3, hw_addr 00:20:E0:0E:27:8B
> > and the relevant line in /proc/interrupts (with the modem in use) is:
> >   3:  30      XT-PIC  pcnet_cs, serial
>
> It looks as if the card is there, but no driver is loaded for it.
> Hence the interrupt does not get reserved, and Linux gives the
> IRQ away to the serial port, unaware that this results in a
> conflict.  The solution is to put 'exclude irq 3' in
> /etc/pcmcia/config.opts.

Perhaps, but I decided to try the other way: move the mwave modem to
ttyS0, IRQ 4.  Boy, was that entertaining experience.  I compiled
2.4.19-pre4-ac3 to get CONFIG_PNPBIOS, but was surprised to end up
missing the mwave.o module!  This turned out to be a few missing lines
in linux/drivers/char/Config.in.  With those added back and a recompile,
the mwave module failed to load, complaining about a conflict with the
irda device.  This was funny, because using lspnp and setpnp I had
disabled the irda device (in both boot and current, and after
rebooting).  Examining the code in linux/drivers/char/mwave/smapi.c it
looked like my moving the serial port parameters of the mwave device was
causing a bogus comparison conflict with the disabled irda device.  I
figured that the easy way out would be to enable
MWAVE_FUTZ_WITH_OTHER_DEVICES since all it was going to do was disable
my already-disabled irda device, but that wouldn't compile due to some
tricky preprocessor directive usage that gcc didn't like.  I got around
that by duplicating a few lines in smapi.c and finally I was successful
in moving the mwave modem to ttyS0, IRQ 4.  Now I can use the modem
while also using my PCMCIA network card.

> You might just ignore ALSA until Linux 2.6, which will have
> ALSA built in.

I don't want to wait until mid-2003 :-)  I got ALSA working.  My main
problem seems to have been that I had the snd_dma1 and snd_dma2
parameters to the cs4236 module backwards.  I had snd_dma1=0, snd_dma2=1
but snd_dma1=1, snd_dma2=0 was what I needed.  Even the FM synth works!

I'm glad I have ALSA working, because alsamixer gives me control of
features like the surround sound effect, something missing from the OSS
mixers.  I discovered though that the built-in volume control/mute
(Fn-PgUp,Fn-PgDn,Fn-Backspace) has overall control of the sound output,
and this control is not reflected in any mixer channel.  I was hoping I
could control those system beeps independently of the other sound
output, but I guess I can turn them off if I need to.

wes