[ltp] TP600+Debian problems

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
30 Mar 2002 08:50:43 -0500

On Sat, 2002-03-30 at 08:27, wes schreiner wrote:
> Perhaps, but I decided to try the other way: move the mwave modem to
> ttyS0, IRQ 4.  Boy, was that entertaining experience.  I compiled
> 2.4.19-pre4-ac3 to get CONFIG_PNPBIOS, but was surprised to end up
> missing the mwave.o module!  This turned out to be a few missing lines
> in linux/drivers/char/Config.in.

Please submit the patch to Alan Cox along with an explanation
of the problem.  Or send it to me and I'll forward it to him.

> With those added back and a recompile,
> the mwave module failed to load, complaining about a conflict with the
> irda device.  This was funny, because using lspnp and setpnp I had
> disabled the irda device (in both boot and current, and after
> rebooting).

(If you disable the "current" config you don't need to reboot.)

> Examining the code in linux/drivers/char/mwave/smapi.c it
> looked like my moving the serial port parameters of the mwave device was
> causing a bogus comparison conflict with the disabled irda device.

If you were trying to use the mwave module with IRQ 4 then
the conflict was probably with the RS-232 serial port, not
with the irda port.

> I figured that the easy way out would be to enable
> MWAVE_FUTZ_WITH_OTHER_DEVICES since all it was going to do was disable
> my already-disabled irda device, but that wouldn't compile due to some
> tricky preprocessor directive usage that gcc didn't like.

You shouldn't ever have to use MWAVE_FUTZ_WITH_OTHER_DEVICES.
Nevertheless, we should fix this bug.  Can you send me a
patch?

> I got around
> that by duplicating a few lines in smapi.c and finally I was successful
> in moving the mwave modem to ttyS0, IRQ 4.  Now I can use the modem
> while also using my PCMCIA network card.

That's good to hear.