[ltp] What NIC to buy for Linux/BSD compatibility? [TP i1400 ]

Rob Mayoff linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
30 Apr 2002 20:38:21 -0500

+---------- On Apr 30, alex kirmse said:
> I'm looking to buy a new pcmcia card for my thinkpad
> i1412 running slackware 8.0. I wanted to know what
> recommendations you guys could give me and what I need
> to look out for. (OFFtopic: I also want to avoid
> compatibility issues with the *BSDs.)

If you're getting a 100 (or 10/100) Mbps card, make sure it's a Cardbus
(aka 32-bit) card.  A 16-bit card will not get anywhere near the
potential throughput of a 100 Mbps network.

I suggest staying away from any card with a dongle or X-jack. I've
had one of each and they've both broken much sooner than I think is
reasonable. A RealPort card or a card that sticks out of the machine
with a full-sized jack permanently attached is much sturdier.