[ltp] What NIC to buy for Linux/BSD compatibility? [TP i1400 ]

peter nol linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 1 May 2002 04:13:01 -0400

Great advice about the dongle- everyone i know - including myself-with one of
those had them
break off - keep this in mind!
And a new dongle will cost 14 bucks in CompUSA!
> I suggest staying away from any card with a dongle or X-jack. I've
> had one of each and they've both broken much sooner than I think is
> reasonable. A RealPort card or a card that sticks out of the machine
> with a full-sized jack permanently attached is much sturdier.
There are two resources that should be enough for you

http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ and freebsd.org
search groups.google.com and google- i was getting some pcmcia devices
and found this enough informaiton for all my needs.
FreeBSD and Redhat GNU/Linux support my 3com card just fine- and using
fluxbox instead of KDE sure speeds things up on my TP 600.
Good luck.
P.S.
Still haven't compiled my linux kernel to support the built-in mwave modem-
anybody have a success story? The newer kernels supposedly have the driver
either for monolithic or as a modules- i had a lot of difficulties installing
both- but i did a minimum install of RedHat- sope mysterious library or two
missing probably. Anybody with a successfull experience on the list?