[ltp] What NIC to buy for Linux/BSD compatibility? [TP i1400 ]

Wed, 1 May 2002 06:40:08 -0400

On Wed, 1 May 2002 04:13:01 -0400
peter nol <zero@adeade.com> wrote:

> Still haven't compiled my linux kernel to support the built-in mwave modem-
> anybody have a success story? The newer kernels supposedly have the driver
> either for monolithic or as a modules- i had a lot of difficulties installing
> both- but i did a minimum install of RedHat- sope mysterious library or two
> missing probably. Anybody with a successfull experience on the list?

We used to use tp 600e's.  We pounded on ibm for about a year to get
with the built-in modem.  The only response was that it wasn't supported
hardware anymore and that the engineers who worked on it were to buisy
working on other projects.  We begged them.  We said we would do all the
work ourselves, just give us detailed specs.  Silence.

We then got t21's.  Wonderful display (1400x1050).  Two weeks after we
got them, ibm releases mwave drivers for 600e's.  Grrrrr.

Anyway.  The t21's have a lucent chipset modem.  There is a binary-only
driver that some people have hacked with wrappers so it will run with
other kernels than what it was compiled for.  It works great!

-Dale

--
Dale P. Smith
Treasurer, Cleveland Linux Users Group http://cleveland.lug.net