[ltp] What NIC to buy for Linux/BSD compatibility? [TP i1400 ]

Dale P. Smith linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 1 May 2002 09:49:48 -0400

On Wed, 1 May 2002 12:30:36 +0100
Michael Selway <mas@ssl.co.uk> wrote:

> Dale P.Smith writes:
>  > Anyway.  The t21's have a lucent chipset modem.  There is a binary-only
>  > driver that some people have hacked with wrappers so it will run with
>  > other kernels than what it was compiled for.  It works great!
>
> Be careful here: I have a t21, wonderful in almost all respects,
> except the modem won't work under linux.  IBM ship these machines
> with different "mini pci" cards in them.  There are two varieties
> of modem on these, and mine is the 3Com one.  The ethernet support
> for the card is just fine, but there is no linux support for the
> modem.

Yes.  Here is the output of lscpi:

00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 09)
00:03.1 Serial controller: Xircom: Unknown device 000c

The lucent driver/patch does work for this.  Sorry about your 3com. :(

-Dale

--
Dale P. Smith
Treasurer, Cleveland Linux Users Group http://cleveland.lug.net