[ltp] a31p and hd settings

Chris Bednar linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 3 May 2002 05:49:22 -0500 (CDT)

    Hi

    I see a few questions about the a31p series on the list;
just thought I'd mention that I have RedHat 7.2 up and running
on mine (with an upgrade to XFree86-4.2.0-6.60 and kernel-2.4.18-0.22
from RawHide).

    The RedHat installation was about as trivial as could be,
and I was too lazy to spend any time trying to get xf86 4.1.x
to work. To configure, I just used `XFree86 -configure' to generate
a config file, which produced something pretty close to useable
for me.

    I did the kernel upgrade partly just to allow me to load the
dri module in X; it locks up with that otherwise.

    Just about everything works as it should, but I do have some
bad hd performance to report. It's a little slow, which is not
really a big deal, but the trouble is that it tends to bring linux
to a halt when reading/writing large amounts of data (it's not dead;
I just have to be very patient).  I'm guessing linux support for
the IDE controller is just not quite up to speed, but I wonder
if anyone's found good hdparm settings for it...

----
Chris J. Bednar
Director, Distributed Computing Product Group
http://AdvancedDataSolutions.com/