[ltp] resurrecting a dead HD

Robert Munro linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 03 May 2002 14:37:40 -0700

You say you set it aside for a couple months?  The connector may
have acquired a film of corrosion, preventing good signal or power.

Try dipping the connector (just the connector!) in a good corrosion
removing solution like Tarnex or similar.  Let it dry, then try it.

Don't use the hammer until you've completely given up fixing it  ;-)

Robert Munro

M. Leo Cooper wrote:

 >Has anyone been able to successfully resurrect a dead TP hard drive?
 >
 >A while back, I bought a 3-gb (FRU P/N 45H8791) drive for my 760XL on
ebay. It
 >worked fine when the floppy drive was installed, but would not boot up (in
 >fact caused the machine to make a loud whine) when the CD drive was
in. When I
 >put it in a 760EL, it worked fine both ways, so I installed Red Hat
7.2 on it
 >and put it aside for a couple of months.
 >
 >Now, this hard drive will not boot up on either the 760XL or the 760EL
in any
 >configuration. At power on, it makes a faint rattle, as if it were
trying to
 >spin up but not quite managing to, then the computer lets loose a loud
whine
 >(audible error tone?).
 >
 >So, what can I try? Giving it a good whack with a heavy hammer?
Immersion in