[ltp] DVD on 600X

James Holden linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 8 May 2002 11:19:54 +0100

Morning all!

Anybody out there got DVD playback working on their 600X? I've got the Xfree
4.2.0 Neomagic driver with Xvideo, but the performance is still pretty poor. I'd
have expected a PIII 500 to cope with software playback ok, but a quick look at
'top' indicates that the player and the X server are competing for the
processor. I'm currently using the videolan client player, but xine does the same.

What I really need to do it reduce the X server CPU usage. The decoder part of
it requires up to 60% cpu time, as determined by sliding the video window off
the bottom of the screen, so it has nothing to draw, but it's needing up to 75%
CPU at the moment, and 60% + 75% > 100%.

I've tried the low-latency patch, but no luck. Anybody got any ideas? If anybody
has it working okay, perhaps you could give me details of your setup, it;
XF86Config, kernel version etc...

James

--
James Holden, Leeds, United Kingdom