[ltp] DVD on 600X

Eric Jorgensen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 8 May 2002 20:09:17 -0600

On Thu, 9 May 2002 09:15:06 +1000 (EST)
Matthew Davis <mdavis@physics.uq.edu.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 8 May 2002, James Holden wrote:
>
> > Anybody out there got DVD playback working on their 600X?
>
> You might like to try out Ogle.
>
> http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/index.shtml
>
> It has by far the best performance on my thinkpad (a T22, but xine still
> isn't great).  And it supports menus.

	I don't personally know the 600e, but I'd recommend vlc instead -
www.videolan.org

	Your big issue is going to be the lack of Xv support in the xserver for the
Neomagic video chip in your 600e. I've heard this is coming soon to an xserver
near you, but also that it aint here yet.

	What that means is, any dvd player you use will have to convert YUV to RGB in
software, and do any necessary scaling in software. You'd be amazed how much cpu
time that eats up.

 - Eric