[ltp] DVD on 600X

James Holden linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 9 May 2002 09:36:47 +0100

Quoting Eric Jorgensen <alhaz@xmission.com>:

[snip stuff about ogle, which i'll try later, although the main cpu hog seems
to be the X server]

> 	I don't personally know the 600e, but I'd recommend vlc instead -
> www.videolan.org

I'm already using vlc, as it seems neat and fast.

> 	Your big issue is going to be the lack of Xv support in the xserver for
> the
> Neomagic video chip in your 600e. I've heard this is coming soon to an
> xserver
> near you, but also that it aint here yet.

I have the driver with the Xv support, but I'm not convinced it's performing
well at all. The cpu usage is still very high, as high as if it wasn't using
Xvideo.

> 	What that means is, any dvd player you use will have to convert YUV to
RGB
> in
> software, and do any necessary scaling in software. You'd be amazed how much
> cpu
> time that eats up.

Yep, but the X server still seems to be doing far too much work. The chipset
doesn't seem to be doing the colourspace conversion thing at all.

--
James Holden, Leeds, United Kingdom
james-at-microcosmos.co.uk