[ltp] DVD on 600X

Eric Jorgensen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 9 May 2002 09:19:06 -0600

On Thu,  9 May 2002 09:36:47 +0100
James Holden <james@microcosmos.co.uk> wrote:

> Quoting Eric Jorgensen <alhaz@xmission.com>:
>
> [snip stuff about ogle, which i'll try later, although the main cpu hog seems
> to be the X server]
>
> > 	I don't personally know the 600e, but I'd recommend vlc instead -
> > www.videolan.org
>
> I'm already using vlc, as it seems neat and fast.
>
> > 	Your big issue is going to be the lack of Xv support in the xserver for
> > the
> > Neomagic video chip in your 600e. I've heard this is coming soon to an
> > xserver
> > near you, but also that it aint here yet.
>
> I have the driver with the Xv support, but I'm not convinced it's performing
> well at all. The cpu usage is still very high, as high as if it wasn't using
> Xvideo.

	If you run xvinfo in an xterm, it should tell you what your xservers Xv
capabilities are.

	You may have to load other X modules, such as the v4l module, before it'll work
properly. Or not. Varies by video chipset and xserver.

> > 	What that means is, any dvd player you use will have to convert YUV to
> RGB
> > in
> > software, and do any necessary scaling in software. You'd be amazed how much
> > cpu
> > time that eats up.
>
> Yep, but the X server still seems to be doing far too much work. The chipset
> doesn't seem to be doing the colourspace conversion thing at all.

	the vlc configuration dialog says that it will automatically pick the "best"
video output mode. maybe it defaulted to something other than Xv.

	Also, the xserver has to support one of a few particular yuv modes, which i
don't remember at all, maybe the vlc docs mention them. But it would be pretty
silly to not support the ones DVD uses.

	Oh, might also make a difference what video mode you're in, some chipsets, it
doesn't work unless you're in a particular mode. usually 16bpp, maybe 24 or
32bpp. Worth fiddling with.

	Good luck.

 - Eric