[ltp] SuSE 8.0 on TP 600E *beware*

walt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 9 May 02 13:41:55 -0500

This has not been fun.

1)  Upgrade from 7.3 to 8.0 went smoothly, except that my wireless card would
not configure (SMC 2632W), the wlan-ng package is used in this release and it
insists on using the prism2 driver which doesn't work.  I tried to force it to
the orinoco_cs drivers but the scripts are broke.  (This is also found
discussed on the suse-linux-e list.)  I did not fix this.

2)  Viewing things as sufficiently screwed up, I went for the scratch install.
 SuSE 8.0 by default uses the kernel pcmcia extentions which hang on my 600E.
I got around this by booting to single-user and changing in
/etc/sysconfig/pcmcia the variable PCMCIA_SYSTEM from kernel to external.

3)  Now booting, it doesn't recognize my 100baseT card.  Plain old 3COM
3CXFE575CT.  ifconfig hangs because the card is not recognized I guess.

Anybody else making better progress than I am?

   Walt Pesch
   walt@solgrp.chi.il.us