[ltp] Gentoo Linux - APM problem with T23

Edi Weitz linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
10 May 2002 11:19:57 +0200

Hi all!

I'm just playing around with Gentoo Linux <http://www.gentoo.org/>
which seems to be a very interesting distribution (especially because
it has implemented something similar to the FreeBSD ports
system).

Almost everything else works fine and without problems but I have
serious problems with power management: If I suspend the machine it
doesn't wake up properly. The LCD backlight is on but that's about all
- the screen remains blank and I get no reaction no matter what I
press on the keyboard. This happen on the konsole as well as with X.

I also have SuSE 8.0 on the same machine and everything works fine
there, so it's not a hardware-related problem.

I might take a closer look at what exactly apmd_proxy does in SuSE's
system but it is my understanding that the machine should be able to
suspend/resume without apmd being there at all so I suppose it's a
problem with the kernel.

My Gentoo system currently has a 2.4.19 kernel, SuSE has 2.4.18. My
kernel configurations as far as APM is concerned are

  CONFIG_APM=y
  # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
  CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
  CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
  # CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
  # CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
  CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y
  # CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set

but I've also tried different settings (including an exact copy of how
SuSE configures the APM stuff).

Could there be something else in my kernel that prevents the system
from resuming properly? (One thing that comes to mind is that Gentoo
relies on DEVFS while SuSE doesn't.)

Has anybody else had similar problems?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Edi.