[ltp] DVD on 600X

James Holden linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 10 May 2002 13:36:44 +0100

Quoting Eric Jorgensen <alhaz@xmission.com>:

[snip]
> 	If you run xvinfo in an xterm, it should tell you what your xservers Xv
> capabilities are.

Done this... and it describes various screens and stuff, rather than 'no
screens found'.

> 	You may have to load other X modules, such as the v4l module, before
it'll
> work
> properly. Or not. Varies by video chipset and xserver.

Really?! I though just having the proper support in the driver and the Xvideo
module loaded was enough. I'll check the docs.

[snip]

> 	the vlc configuration dialog says that it will automatically pick the
> "best"
> video output mode. maybe it defaulted to something other than Xv.
>
> 	Also, the xserver has to support one of a few particular yuv modes,
which
> don't remember at all, maybe the vlc docs mention them. But it would be
> pretty
> silly to not support the ones DVD uses.
>
> 	Oh, might also make a difference what video mode you're in, some
chipsets,
> it

Perhaps, but the thing which makes me think I'm working in Xv mode is that I
get a glimpse of the blue colourkey background when moving the window. Also,
startnig vlc with the -v (verbose) switch indicates that Xv is being used.

> doesn't work unless you're in a particular mode. usually 16bpp, maybe 24 or
> 32bpp. Worth fiddling with.

I'll try this one, but I'm already in 16bit. I rather thought that that was the
recommended (/required?) mode for Xv.

> 	Good luck.
May well need it.

>  - Eric

I was hoping another 600X owner out there had success and could perhaps tell me
what they did.

Cheers Eric!

James

--