[ltp] Gentoo Linux - APM problem with T23

Edi Weitz linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
10 May 2002 16:53:45 +0200

"Keith Frechette" <kfrechet@us.ibm.com> writes:

> There seems to be huge differences in opinion between manufacturers
> about the responsibilities of BIOS when it comes to saving/restore
> the states of devices. For instance, should the BIOS attempt to
> save/restore the state of audio, or should it simply let the OS pass
> the appropriate notification to the audio driver and let it handle
> the event in an appropriate way? In that specific case (audio),
> OEM's seem to differ in their thinking. For the IBM ThinkPad T23
> notebook, the OS (or apmd script) needs to save and restore the
> state. However, the ThinkPad T23 does save/restore the state of
> "critical" devices.
>
> There is a reasonable chance that audio is causing your hang. I'd
> compare the apmd_proxy scripts as well as the audio drivers (kernel
> vs. ALSA, etc.). You might also want to consult the Linux
> certification reports for the ThinkPad T23 at
> http://www.linuxcare.com/labs/certs. They include procedures for
> working around such problems.

I can't try this immediately 'cause I'm at work now but just to make
sure I'm understanding you correctly: Would that mean that audio could
cause the hang even if I don't use it? One of the things that I tried
to avoid this problem was to unload all modules (including the ALSA
sound modules for the intel8x0 sound chip and the eepro100 module for
the network card) before I suspended - didn't work, i.e. it still
hung. [I was on a konsole with no X server running and no applications
except for some system daemons.]

You mean the OS has to save and restore the state of the device even
if it's inactive (i.e. not used by the OS)?

Thanks for your time,
Edi.