[ltp] Tips for working Linux and Windows- a request for help or advice

Shane A Broomhall linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
12 May 2002 13:35:06 +1000

HI All,

I have managed to persuade my work that having Linux as my operating
system on my laptop will still allow for me to carry out my work as
needed.  I want to have Linux as my operating system so I can learn how
to use it properly by using it every day, and not having to change from
Windows 2000 or XP to Linux at home.

I will be having a Linux laptop, Red hat 7.2, on a Think Pad A20m.  Real
nice machine.

I will be wanting to log on to a Windows NT 4 Domain and access network
shares and documents, and printers.

I have installed the samba client.  I am downloading Open Office, and
Java 1.4.

I have a Palm Pilot that I will want to Synchronize with my Linux box.
It runs in a USB Cradle ?? Is USB Palm supported under Linux ???

I have installed Red Hat, and put Xi-man gnome on it as I have heard
that evolution will allow for access to an Exchange mail server and also
allow calendaring and scheduling.

At at later date, I will be wanting to make a HP PCMCIA CD burner work
with Linux.  Some help or guidance on the Kernel compiling and the
mounting statement would be handy.

I have a copy of Vmware if it turns out I absolutely have to have
windows of some variety for a specific application.

I have some Linux experience, enough to do an install configure basic
networking and printing, local printer, and some very basic text editing
skills.  If anyone could suggest somewhere to go for some tips or hints
on how to manage making Linux my desktop in a Windows environment, it
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully to respond.

Cheers for now,
--

Shane A. Broomhall

Citrix Trainer & Consultant

Citrix Instructor of the Year 2001 (AsiaPac)

shanebroomhall@computer.org