[ltp] SuSE 8.0 on TP 600E *beware*

Sven Becher linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 11 May 2002 20:22:30 +0200

Hi Walt,
I'm using a TP770X with a SMC2632W  and I ran into the same problem.
There seem to be some bugs in the new implementation of wireless cards.
I solved it the following way:

- - Switch the PCMCIA-System to "External"

- - Add a network-interface as You need it (I did it using yast) with
appropriate IP-address etc.

- - Set a symbolic link in the /etc/sysconfig/network directory with the
command
"ln -s ifconfig-eth-pcmcia-n ifcfg-wlan0" (n is the n number of You
chose for Your interface)

- - Change the script wlan-ng in /etc/pcmcia as follows:
Change every appearance of "./network $1 $2" to "/etc/init.d/network $1
$2 -o hotplug"

Hope it helps, it took me a looong time to discover the bug in the
wlan-script,
Sven

Am Donnerstag, 9. Mai 2002 20:41 schrieb walt:
> This has not been fun.
>
> 1)  Upgrade from 7.3 to 8.0 went smoothly, except that my wireless
> card would not configure (SMC 2632W), the wlan-ng package is used in
> this release and it insists on using the prism2 driver which doesn't
> work.  I tried to force it to the orinoco_cs drivers but the scripts
> are broke.  (This is also found discussed on the suse-linux-e list.)
> I did not fix this.
>
> 2)  Viewing things as sufficiently screwed up, I went for the scratch
> install. SuSE 8.0 by default uses the kernel pcmcia extentions which
> hang on my 600E. I got around this by booting to single-user and
> changing in
> /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia the variable PCMCIA_SYSTEM from kernel to
> external.
>
> 3)  Now booting, it doesn't recognize my 100baseT card.  Plain old
> 3COM 3CXFE575CT.  ifconfig hangs because the card is not recognized I
> guess.
>
> Anybody else making better progress than I am?
>

>    Walt Pesch
>    walt@solgrp.chi.il.us

- --
- -- Sven Becher