[ltp] Tips for working Linux and Windows- a request for help or advice

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 13 May 2002 10:49:22 -0400

On Saturday 11 May 2002 23:35, Shane A Broomhall wrote:
> HI All,
>
> I have managed to persuade my work that having Linux as my operating
> system on my laptop will still allow for me to carry out my work as
> needed.  I want to have Linux as my operating system so I can learn how
> to use it properly by using it every day, and not having to change from
> Windows 2000 or XP to Linux at home.

Congratulations :o).

> I will be having a Linux laptop, Red hat 7.2, on a Think Pad A20m.  Real
> nice machine.
>
> I will be wanting to log on to a Windows NT 4 Domain and access network
> shares and documents, and printers.

Definitely possible. I've never gotten things working quite as smoothly as
with real windows machines though. SMB filesystems tend to be a bit cranky at
times. For instance if you detach from the network without unmounting them
you're likely to cause a lockup. That being said, things generally work fine.
Printing presents similar minor annoyances. I have my network set up so that
the Linux boxes run CUPS locally and that prints to the remote windows print
queue. 2 problems I've never solved: Errors are never reported, CUPS doesn't
seem to notice if the smb print queue is broken, and more annoyingly it seems
that smb has a bad memory leak or something involving printing. I regularly
have to kill off errant smb processes that are associated with dead print
jobs and grow to consume all memory. We use MDK 8.x here, so YMMV on that
one. I've never really spent any effort trying to fix it since we don't do a
large amount of printing.

You may find that the best approach is (if possible) to set up a Linux based
file/print server.

> I have installed the samba client.  I am downloading Open Office, and
> Java 1.4.
>
> I have a Palm Pilot that I will want to Synchronize with my Linux box.
> It runs in a USB Cradle ?? Is USB Palm supported under Linux ???

Yes, Linux supports serial, USB, and IR synching. Setting it up can be a bit
tricky though.

> I have installed Red Hat, and put Xi-man gnome on it as I have heard
> that evolution will allow for access to an Exchange mail server and also
> allow calendaring and scheduling.
>
> At at later date, I will be wanting to make a HP PCMCIA CD burner work
> with Linux.  Some help or guidance on the Kernel compiling and the
> mounting statement would be handy.

I'm not really familiar with that particular hardware, but the general
process with Linux and burners is that if they are ATAPI then you need to
make sure your kernel supports SCSI and you have the options enabled for
ATAPI/SCSI emulation (the reason being that ATAPI is really SCSI command set
over ATA, so Linux has to be able to treat the ATAPI drive as a SCSI device)
and then when you boot you have to give your kernel an ide-scsi=hdXa
parameter (where X is whatever letter your drive is, usually a-d with onboard
IDE). You can set that up in LILO or GRUB. I sometimes have problems with
devfs interacting with that setup, again YMMV.

> I have a copy of Vmware if it turns out I absolutely have to have
> windows of some variety for a specific application.

VMWare is great. My A20p with 384 mb can run a 128mb VM with no sweat. Their
docs on setting up networking are a bit hokey though. In my config I DON'T
use "bridged" networking, instead I just set up the "local" configuration
(which they claim only gives access to the host machine) and then created a
NAT rule with iptables like so:

# Generated by iptables-save v1.2.4 on Tue Feb  5 16:54:35 2002
*nat
:PREROUTING ACCEPT [7:782]
:POSTROUTING ACCEPT [3:486]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [6:972]
[8:780] -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
COMMIT

(you can use iptables-restore to invoke this, then save it as the permanent
config using /etc/init.d/iptables save, then you just flag your system to
start the iptables "service" on startup to have it restored automagically).