[ltp] SuSE 8.0 on TP 600E *beware*

Edi Weitz linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
13 May 2002 17:19:33 +0200

"philippe.corboz" <philippe.corboz@pop.agri.ch> writes:

> I just went thru the unpleasant experience of re-installing W98SE
> which I had on my dual-boot SuSE / W98 system. Cause: the "upgrade"
> from SuSE 7.2 to SuSE 8.0 had clobbered the MBR in a way that made
> the hard disk unbootable, I had to do all the recovery activities
> via floppies and CD's. Not even 'format /MBR' worked.
>
> A special mention goes to mondo/mindi here, sadly, I had been lazy a
> while, and had only 'oldish' backups available.
>
> IMHO, stay away from SuSE 8.0 unless (a) you do an all new
> installation of Linux on its own disk, and (b) never plan to change
> the hardware, the detection of new hardware (try adding an USB
> mouse!) does definitely not work properly, either.

I wish people would stop making general rules out of personal
experiences. In order to balance this message: I have installed SuSE
8.0 on two Thinkpads (T21 and T23) in the last two weeks and
everything worked fine and without a problem. The whole hardware was
automatically detected, I could still boot to Win2k (which was on both
machines) afterwards, and also plugging in a USB mouse while the
system was running worked as it should.

I have some gripes with SuSE but the points above are not amongst
them.

Best regards,
Edi.