[ltp] PCMCIA Compact Flash Cards ??

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 13 May 2002 13:38:43 -0500

"J.J.Green" wrote:

> Hi
>
> > I am wondering, well hoping actually that someone can lead me to where I
> > can find out how to make a PCMCIA compact flash card work with a Linux
> > laptop (Red Hat 7.2)

I've had great luck with this on several different Thinkpads.
I can't take credit for it, got it off of the net.
-- Bert

Make yourself a directory /mnt/pcflash and then add the following line to
/etc/fstab:
 /dev/hdc1      /mnt/pcflash   vfat    noauto,user,fat=12  0 0

 Replace /dev/hdc1 with whatever device the PCMCIA IDE module places the  card
at. You can figure this out by looking at your system messages file
(/var/log/messages on a RedHat system) right after the card is inserted, or
by  looking at /var/lib/pcmcia/stab. If you have both a hard drive and an
IDE   CD-ROM drive on your system, it may well be that the PCMCIA Compact
Flash   card won't show up at /dev/hdc.

At this point, after inserting the card, any user can issue the command
 mount /mnt/pcflash
and get to the images on the card just like files on any other filesystem.
Remember to unmount the filesystem before physically removing the PCMCIA card
reader!
PCMCIA CD