[ltp] sound on a 600

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 14 May 2002 15:34:43 -0500

Alister Forbes wrote:

> Folks,
>
> After a nightmare of trying to get the sound up and running on my
> thinkpad 600 I thought I'd share the disgustingly simple trick of
> getting it to work in the end.
>
> After all my huffing puffing and really naughty words, I ended up
> running alsaconf, and getting it to probe for legacy ISA cards.  et
> voila, it now sings!
>
> I did read somewhere (as alsaconf was running, so I haven't checked
> it) that the PCI Bus power management needs to be off.

> http://www.linuxcare.com/labs/certs/pad600x-suse64-config.epl

I have a 600E, I think its sound hardware is the same as the 600.  I've
found that turning PCI bus power management off is needed only for the
OSS drivers.  I have it on and am using ALSA 0.9.0beta12 with no
problems.  I didn't need alsaconf's autodetect though.  What chipset did
alsaconf say you have?  If it said cs4232 then you can do better by
manually setting up the cs4236 driver.

wes