[ltp] PCMCIA Compact Flash Cards ??

Dean L. Hedin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 15 May 2002 07:46:00 -0400

Should be no problem.

Assuming your Redhat install has already detected your PCMCIA
(it should have, especially if you selected a laptop install class)

As root create a dir /mnt/pccard

Edit /etc/pcmcia/ide.opts as follows:

case "$ADDRESS" in
*,*,*,1)
    INFO="Sample IDE setup"
    DO_FSTAB="y" ; DO_FSCK="y" ; DO_MOUNT="y"
    FSTYPE="msdos" ; FSTYPE="vfat"
    OPTS=""
    MOUNTPT="/mnt/pccard"
    ;;
*,*,*)
    PARTS="1"
    # Card eject policy options
    NO_CHECK=n
    NO_FUSER=n
    ;;
esac

That should do it.   You should get the happy beep when you install
the card.   Note the MOUNTPT dir matches the dir we created.
Also note FSTYPE="msdos" ; FSTYPE="vfat"  that means you can
read Windows & DOS formatted cards.   FYI, some digital cameras use
a dos equivalent file system and that's why we include FSTYPE="msdos"

To remove the card  (as root)  type cardctl eject

On more tip I'd like to share.  If you are installing RedHat for the first
time and you want to use an ethernet card.  Have the ethernet card
installed in the laptop and connected to the network.   Redhat will
setup everything automagically (at least it did in my case).

Finally, there are some desktop gui apps that provide some pccard control
There is an x app called cardinfo that will allow you to check the status and
eject pc-cards.  The other is the gkrellem monitoring utility (highly
recommended)  for which there is a pc-card plugin.

nuff said