[ltp] Strange problem with (?) Mozilla

Edi Weitz linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
20 May 2002 11:48:18 +0200

Hi!

I have a strange problem with my T23 and Linux. It's hard to describe
in detail because it isn't really reproduceable, it just happens
frequently. I'll try to sum up what's happening, maybe someone has an
idea:

1. The problem only seems to happen while I'm using Mozilla (1.0rc2),
   not on any particular website but more or less out of the blue.

2. If it happens my (external) USB mouse stops to work. The Ethernet
   card also stops to work. If I try to bring these devices up again,
   the logfile shows entries like:

May 20 11:17:05 bird kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus2/1, assigned device number 5
May 20 11:17:08 bird kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
May 20 11:19:09 bird kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
May 20 11:19:09 bird kernel: eth0: Transmit timed out: status f048  0c00 at 4085/4145 command 000ca000.

3. At this point, the only thing that I can do to get the whole system
   working again is reboot... :(

4. The system is Gentoo Linux with a 2.4.19 kernel and XFree86
   4.2.0. I use the Sawfish window manager with gkrellm. There are
   only a few fairly standard daemons running, including sshd, dhcpd,
   devfsd, syslogd, klogd, crond, postfix, and autofs4. The file
   system is ext3.

5. It looks like this doesn't happen with a stock SuSE 8.0. I'm not
   100% sure as I don't boot into SuSE that often.

Has anybody seen something similar? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Edi.