[ltp] Washington Post article Linux on TP600

Tom Allison linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 22 May 2002 06:27:58 -0400

James Holden wrote:

>Quoting Ken Firestone <kenf@speakeasy.net>:
>
>>Hello everyone.
>>
>>Today's (Sunday) Washington (DC) Post has an article on installing
>>Linux:
>>	http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36612-2002May18.html
>>One of the computers involved is a TP600. The dear gent writing the
>>article has problems getting sound and modem working. Anyone care to
>>read the article, and see if you can help him out?
>>
>[snip]
>I don't know what he did, but the sound has always worked fine on my 600X (same
>chip family), with Redhat 6, 7.0, 7.2, Mandrake 7.0, 8.0, and 8.2.
>
>It's obvious that the modem might not work on a straight install... but you can
>hardly blame the GNU/Linux community for *that* one! That said, the 600 has the
>Mwave modem, which is natively supported in Mdk8.2 AFAIK.
>
>It appears to me that many people give up on Linux because they can't get out of
>the Redmond way of thinking. For example, don't bother trying to get Office to
>work on Linux, or complain that it isn't supported etc etc. Just think a little
>differently and use OpenOffice.org instead. I'm a 100% non-MS shop at home and
>on most of the kit I have any influence over, but I have to support a load of MS
>desktops at work and I'm constantly frustrated by their habit of falling over
>several times a day for no good reason. You can't even examine the logs, because
>they don't have any!

To some extent you may be right.
My brother just got a Linux box and I had to remind him that he will
probably not have to reboot the machine for the next 3-6 months unless
he wants to upgrade the kernel.  He was kind of dumb-founded.  It's like
telling someone they don't have to breathe...