[ltp] Washington Post article Linux on TP600

James Holden linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 22 May 2002 20:56:24 +0100

Quoting Paul Barrett <Barrett@stsci.edu>:

[snip]

> Rob Pegoraro has been writing for the WP PC/Technical column for at least
> five
> years now.  After reading that article I was rather dismayed by his comments
>
> about the Winmodem and sound card.  He should have qualified his statements
> by
> saying that these problems are not entirely Linux's fault, since the software
>
> used with these chips are often proprietary. I expect better from a
> journalist
> whose job it is to follow this subject and has done so for so long.

Yep, there are quite a few journo's who are still firmly in the microsoft camp.
Gerry Purnell is one, although I haven't read his columns for a while now. I've
mostly stopped buying magazines lately, doing most of my reading online.

> I think it really is the situation that if all you know is Windows, then
> other
> OSs are difficult.  For me it is just the opposite, I find Windows difficult
> and
> oftern have to resort going back to Linux to get some task associated with
> hardware to work, such as writing an ISO image to a CD-WR disk.

I quite agree. I first dabbled with Linux around 1994 whilst staying mostly with
windows. In the last few years, I've been able to achieve what I wanted more
quickly under linux, and with less fuss. Windows now seems very foreign and
strange when I have to use it. I used to relish the challenge of fixing a
misbehaving windows box, but often lately it seems like there's no point because
what I'm dealing with is inherently cr*p compared to what I'm used to. As in
your example, what could be easier than typing 'cdrecord image.iso' (assuming
you set the CDR_DEVICE variable)?

James

--
James Holden, Leeds, United Kingdom