[ltp] SuperSavage IX and MTRR

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 29 May 2002 14:37:39 +0200

Edi Weitz wrote:

[snip]

> PS: Please do NOT use the S3 4.0.3 driver with Xfree86 4.2.0 if you
>     care about your system. I have a reproduceable test case in which
>     the S3 server crashes the whole OS while watching a webpage with
>     Mozilla. The 'native' 4.2.0 server behaves fine, though.

"Please do NOT use the S3 4.0.3 driver with Xfree86 4.2.0" ... unless
you intend to use an external (CRT) display and want more than 60Hz
refresh rate. Because that's all the Savage driver in XFree86 4.2.0 can
do on CRT.

The driver I've been using for quite a while now is also from the S3
website and was apparently built for 4.1.0. It works like a charm and
gives me 75Hz on the CRT (see my posting from 04/22).

Markus

--
Markus Alt
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany