[ltp] Can my LTP project get off the ground?

Edi Weitz linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
29 May 2002 20:29:08 +0200

Vincent -LKV- <lkv@usa.net> writes:

> Do I have enough firepower to pull this off?  I'm most concerned
> about my memory status.  I have 24 MB now, but the maximum is 40 MB.
> Are there popular or critical components that I won't be able to run
> with this setup?

The following posting from comp.lang.lisp from today (Message-ID:
<87ptzft1lw.fsf@blitz.comp.com>) has some stuff relating to your
question:

Jochen Schmidt <jsc@dataheaven.de> writes:

> Raymond Wiker wrote:
>
> > Jochen Schmidt <jsc@dataheaven.de> writes:

> >> Hehe - Emacs (Eight Megabytes Always Continuously Swapping) will
> >> then be a hog to I fear ;-)
> >
> >         Not really. I ran FreeBSD 2.something on a mcahine with
> > 16MB RAM, with XFree86, MySQL, Apache, Emacs and an ungodly mess
> > of Perl code that I used to interact with the database.
> >
> >         It worked, but it wasn't fast.
>
> Well - it works yes - I know it from times when I ran Emacs on
> NetBSD on my old Amiga 4000 with an M68040-25Mhz, 2MB ChipRam and
> 16MB FastRam.

I got FreeBSD 4.5 to eat only about 2 MB of RAM. Emacs+ILISP is about
5 MB. CLISP is at about 3 when started.

It is enough for most work I do. And if not, it reminds me with
swapping. ;)

The same laptop with Windows NT 4 + Corman Lisp was not very
usable... But luckily I mostly coded in Assembly language these times.