[ltp] Sensors still an issue?

Boyan linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 15:21:23 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 30 May 2002, James Holden wrote:

> > > My TP600X regulates the fan just fine and always has done.
> >
> > Do you mean that the fan stops from time to time? That would be
> > wonderful. Question is how to achieve this? Do you have lm_sensors
> > installed and did you ever run sensors-detect? I have good control
> > over the harddisk spin-down, but not on the fan.
>
> Ah, that's the thing.... I never did anything special to make it
> work! It just worked, which is why I assumed it was controlled in
> hardware. The example I gave above was to back up that assumption.
> ie: would you trust windows to look after cooling your cpu?!!! ha ha!
> I know for certain than lm_sensors is nothing to do with it.

Interesting is what has to do with the fan?

> If your fan never slows, you may have a hardware problem, thinking
> about it. If the temperature sensor has failed it'll run the fan
> continuously as a failsafe.  I'm surprised you're not getting any
> POST errors though.

No errors, because the fan is working just fine (only in windows) and I
am almost sure it is not a hardware problem.  It might be a distro
kernel problem. What is your linux distribution? I use suse 8.

> It's the DVD movie playback I'm struggling with. Reading DVD data cds
> works a charm. I've got the hacked neomagic driver for XFree86 4.2.0
> with support for Xv but it's still jerky. Any ideas? I've run out of
> things to try.

Here I cannot be of any help. I once thought of trying mplayer but it
looked pretty complicated for me, for instance how do you install the
patched with Xv neomagic driver? vcd and avi formats work ok, though.
So I wait a couple of years until dvd playback programs become easier
to install.