[ltp] Sensors still an issue?

Vivek linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 17:46:20 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 30 May 2002, jjmckenzie51@earthlink.net wrote:

> Boyan:
>
> As far as I know there is NO solution to the lm-sensors issue because of
> the method used by IBM to update the EEPROM used to hold BIOS

Well.. there must _be_ a way: lm_sensors just doesn't have the ability
to interrogate the chipset safely in thinkpads: I don't know if IBM
have given the lm_sensors developers the info they need, or even if it's
high on their list of things to fix.

> information.  Basically, do not use the lm_sensors package because of
> the possibility of the BIOS being completely erased.

Agree with you there - don't try it unless you want to own a very
expensive matt-black doorstop.