[ltp] Thinkpad 600E and Mandrake

Andrew Lee linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 10:39:51 +0100

Hi,

New here, so hope you'll forgive if this is a silly question.

I have a 600e Thinkpad (366/128MB/6.5GB) and have installed Mandrake 8.2

It was fine to install and is all working, except for sound and the modem.
I found the modem driver that IBM made, and built it, but kept getting an
error trying to load it.
I just don't know with the sound - I had SUSE 7.3 on and the sound worked
for MP3 and WAV, but
CD's wouldn't play, and I couldn't get my network card to work, so I
installed Mandrake.
Same problems but network works and no sound at all.
I tried recompiling the kernel (as I read somewhere that I have to recompile
for APM to work)
but I kept getting errors, and it broke more than it fixed both attempts I
made, then of course my
original kernel had problems because all the modules were different, so I
rebuilt mandrake again.
So, that's the background, I have a working Mandrake 8.2 with Network
connection and APM seems to work - though I've not recompiled the kernel.
Question remains - can I get the Modem to work, and can I get sound to work?
The alternative is that I just put Win2000 on so that everything works out
of the box - but I'd rather stay the OSS route as the licence for 2000 is
expensive.

If I have to recompile the kernel, I'd appreciate some advice (or a config
file) that will give me the right options.

many thanks in advance for any help

- -
Andrew J. Lee
AVIEN Founding Member  | http://avien.org
Team Anti-Virus        | http://www.teamanti-virus.org
Wildlist Reporter      | http://www.wildlist.org
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the
universe." -Carl Sagan