[ltp] Re: Can't go to sleep

uri linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 24 Jan 100 13:27:14 -0500 (EST)

Dirk Husemann says:
> Contrary to what most people think, it IS possible to use hibernation with
> Linux. The only caveat is that you have to a Windows partition slightly
> bigger than your RAM memory size and you have to run the TP utility at
> least once and have it "configure" your BIOS to use that Windows partition
> for hibernation. Somewhere on the net (sorry, I didn't save that URL)
> there's even a description of how  to use the Linux swap partition for
> hibernation. It works just fine (tested on 760, 770, 390).

I've got hibernation working on TP-600E.

1. I remove all the PCMCIA cards before hibernating.

2. I've recompiled the kernel, turning all the APM options to "Yes",
   except for one: "Ignore User Suspend = NO".

3. Booting Win in DOS mode and using "PS2.EXE" I've created
   hibernation file (I think it's the "HFILE" command).

>From that point on, pressing "Fn-F12" faithfully puts the machine
to sleep (:-).

Now if somebody could help with getting the IR port to work... I'm
using SuSE-6.3 distribution with 2.2.13-SuSE kernel... Following
the HOWTO didn't lead to solution...
--
Regards,
Uri		uri@watson.ibm.com