[ltp] T23 Choppy video?

Julian Underwood linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 19:53:31 -0500

Hi this will probably be an easy question for you Thinkpad Linux gurus.
I am having a problem with my T23/1.13Ghz/1GB RAM laptop.  I have Redhat
8 installed on it.  Everything works great except for a couple of
things:  When I go to play Tux Racer or Unreal Tournament the video is
*exceptionally* CHOPPY.  If I go and play a divx movie, it plays very
smoothly.  If I try and play a DVD, it's CHOPPY.  I had the same problem
when I had 7.3 installed on the unit.  I realize that the DVD problem
could be giving me this problem due to the using_dma =3D 0 (off).

I mention that playing a divx movie is smooth, only because it seems odd
to me that something which is video intensive like a divx movie would
work fine, whereas a 3d game or dvd would not.

At one point I tried updating the Supersavage 3 driver but I think that
Redhat detects it properly anyway.  Can anyone shed some light onto why
I may be experiencing this problem?  Incidently, I am confident this is
not a hardware related problem.  Thanks a lot,

Julian