[ltp] Filesystem choice?

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 16:19:35 -0500

Well, XFS and JFS are still rumoured to have some bugs, so I wouldn't tou=
ch=20
them on a production file server either, not without some serious testing=
!=20

Personally I'd say laptops are about THE #1 machine to have a journalling=
 file=20
system on. Sure you don't have the power glitch to worry about, but I mus=
t=20
say that my A20 is down a LOT more often, and crashed a lot more often, t=
han=20
any desktop or server I have. Not that its unstable,  but resume is NEVER=
=20
100% reliable in linux to my knowledge, so that is itself a good enough=20
reason.

Personally I've been having no problems with Reiserfs spinning up the dis=
k. It=20
definitely spins down when the system suspends, and I never seem to hear =
it=20
coming back up again. I have no real experience with ext3, except to say =
in=20
my benchmarks its always been a lot slower than Reiserfs.

On Tuesday 05 November 2002 01:30 pm, Buchan Milne wrote:

--=20
Tod G. Harter
Giant Electronic Brain