[ltp] Filesystem choice?

Richard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 15:55:47 +0000 (GMT)

> In my case I'm using vanilla MDK 9.0, on an A20p but I had pretty much
> identical results with MDK 8.1 (I skipped 8.2). My symptoms are that roughly
> 1 out of 3 resumes I come back up with X completely crapped, just garbage on
> the screen and the machine locked solid. I don't use any PC cards, so its not
> related to that, it just seems that the machine fails to reinit SOMETHING. I
> suspect it might be related to whether or not the network is up or not, but I
> have also told apmd to shut that down on suspend (as well as shutting down
> sound, which seems to be mandatory on my machine). Way back when I was
> running MDK 8.0 on this same machine and using kernel 2.4.9 it DID seem like
> it was a lot more reliable, but I never had 100% of resumes work, and its
> always been the same symptom when it crashes.

Bother - I was hoping 9.0 would be better :-(

> BTW, I believe alt-sysreq is a response thats hard-coded into the kernel.
> There are a number of things you can do with it, like dump to a serial port,
> kill init, etc. Its one of those linux features I so rarely need to use I
> can't recall off the top of my head what the key combos are, but I do know
> that you can customize it, I just can't recall for the life of me the details
> at the moment, and too busy to go look it up!

Alt-Sysrq is very useful, especially to prevent fscks on reboot (although
I now use ResierFS)

You want:

R	Raw		Raising
S	Sync		Skinny
E	tErm		Elephants
I	kIll		Is
U	Umount		Utterly
B	reBoot		Boring

That said, I have sometimes found that I *still* get the filesystem
complaining on reboot - that would suggest that when the system "wakes
up", it can't do HDD access.

I did submit a long list of SysRQ ideas (requests for enhancement) to the
person who appears to maintain the code - but the email address
given was bouncing - I suspect that this part of code dates from some time
ago.

Regards

Richard