[ltp] How?: Trackpoint USB keyboard in linux

Boyan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:47:29 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Tod Harter wrote:

> > know what Protocol to use for the USB keyboard and what Option "XkbModel"
> > and Option "Device"?
>
> Nah, USB keyboard driver simply replaces the regular keyboard driver, so a USB
> keyboard should work everywhere, in or out of X,

Well that was what I was thinking when I bought it in the first place,
but...

> and in fact X should not
> even be able to tell its a USB keyboard. Does the keyboard work at the text
> console? If not then it won't work in X either...

Restarted again, but no change. The mouse works but no keyboard, neither
in X, in console, nor in terminal. Interesting is that with the
Thinkpad600x and same linux SuSE 8.0 I get exactly the opposite behaviour:
keyboard works but the in-built mouse is dead. In both cases the IBM USB
Trackpoint Spacesaver Keyboard was not worth the money (and it was quite
an amount for a keyboard). Now I am looking for a friend (a windowsman) to
give it as a present.

Regards,
Boyan