[ltp] Sound on 560X w/Debian Woody

Aaron J. Enright linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:21:35 -0600 (CST)

Hey there:
Forgive me if this is a double-posting, but I just found this still
swimming in my outbox a few hours after I originally sent it.  Someday
I'll master this new-fangled email thing.

-a

---------------------

Hello, fellow ltp-ers.

A while back I installed Woody on my 560X and loved it from first boot.
Just last night I reinstalled it (wanted to change around my partition
table a bit) and for the life of me I can't get the sound working
correctly again.  It was working fine before, but, like a fool, I didn't
document my every move while configuring and installing it back then and
am paying the price now.

When I use sndconfig I am picking the soundblaster card with the following
settings:
I/O port: 0x220
IRQ: 5
DMA: 1
These are the settings I used in my Red Hat days, and they worked fine.
Under Woody, and with these settings, the sample soundfile ("Hello, this
is Linus Torvalds...") plays fine.  Alas, I get the following error
message when I try using mpg321 to play an mp3:
"libao - OSS cannot set rate to 44100
Can't find a suitable libao driver (is device in use?)"
and when I try playing an mp3 under mp3blaster it plays at half speed.

I remember having these problems before and overcoming them, but, as
previously mentioned, I wasn't wise enough to document it for myself.

Has anyone a solution, hints towards one, or encouraging words?

Thanks a bunch.

solidarity
-aaron

--
The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue.
	-Dorothy Parker