[ltp] T23, Redhat 7.3 & ultrabay drive

Wed, 13 Nov 2002 14:09:02 +0100

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 09:32:30 -0300, Tim Abbott wrote:

> Hi Tino,
>
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Tino Keitel wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 16:04:19 -0300, Tim Abbott wrote:
> >
> > 1. You have to edit fstab yourself to have an entry for hdc.
> >
> > 2. It will only appear in /etc/mtab if you mount it.
> >
> > 3. If you dont't have a partition table on hdc, I presume that sfdisk
> >    won't display anything.
>
> I assume that a properly formatted disk has a partition table.  WinXP
> reads it just fine.

Hum... I don't know if WinXP can do something "wrong" here.

> > > ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide
> > > hdc: driver not present
> >
> > I think this is only a debug message from some auto mounter stuff or
> > things like that.
>
> Others have suggested that linux is not recognising the second IDE
> interface or is failing to load the driver.  The file
> /proc/ide/ide1/hdc/driver exists, but contains "(none)".

Since your first hard disk is detected correctly, the kernel should
contain all required options.

What do the other files in /proc/ide/ide1/hdc contain? I think the
kernel should also report the drive geometry at boot time. Maybe this
has something to do with a strange BIOS setting regarding the second
IDE channel, but then again, why does it work in WinXP?

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG