[ltp] T30 with an external Display

Gregor Rojec-Goldmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 19:39:39 +0100

Hello,

I have a T30 with Radeon Mobility M7 LW (Radeon 7500) and 1400x1050 with
XFree 4.2.1 and Debian testing.

I would like to connect an external display with different resolution
than the builtin LCD to the running X server.

I changed the resolution in the X configuration file and it works. I
start the X server with different config files for different settings.
But there are two problems:

1. There is no mirroring. I can switch to the external or internal
   display, but can't have the picture on both at the same time, which is
   annoying at presentations.

2. When I shut down the X server after connecting and disconnecting an
external display the video get corrupted and I have to reboot.

It would also be great if I could use Ctrl+Alt+NumPad+- to switch the
resolution of the running X server, but I couldn't get it to work
either. The manpage says that it should be used with a boolean (Option
"DontZoom"  "boolean"), but the xserver will not accept a boolean value
on this option.

Any experience with this?

Best regards,
Gregor

p.s.

My XF86Config-4 with 1024x756 without 1400x1050:
Section "Files"
	FontPath	"unix/:7100"			# local font server
	# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"