[ltp] T23, Redhat 7.3 & ultrabay drive

Pam Huntley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:52:53 -0500

Just make sure your extra disk doesn't also have a valid RHL 7.3
installation on it.  If so, you need to change the root=LABEL=/ to whatever
your actual partition is, root=/dev/hda5 or whatever.  Otherwise your
kernel will get really confused, and you'll sit there wondering why you
can't log in.  (I'm using grub, by the way, not lilo).

Also, you might want to make two different configurations, one with the
ide-scsi option and one without, if you plan on switching back and forth
between cdrom and hard drive.  But it looks like you aren't so...

HTH,

Pam

|---------+--------------------------------------->
|         |           "Thomas J. Valerio"         |
|         |           <tjv@westwood-tech.com>     |
|         |           Sent by:                    |
|         |           linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-t|
|         |           hinkpad.org                 |
|         |                                       |
|         |                                       |
|         |           11/13/2002 04:06 PM         |
|         |           Please respond to           |
|         |           linux-thinkpad              |
|         |                                       |
|---------+--------------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                           |
  |       To:       linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org                                                         |
  |       cc:                                                                                                 |
  |       Subject:  Re: [ltp] T23, Redhat 7.3 & ultrabay drive                                                |
  |                                                                                                           |
  |                                                                                                           |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

If there is an "hdc=ide-scsi" line in your lilo.conf file, comment it out.

       Thomas Valerio

Tim Abbott wrote:

> I have recently installed Redhat 7.3 on my T23, including an update to
> Kernel 2.4.18-17.7.x.  I want to use an ultrabay disk as the data disk
> on this system and retain as much as possible of the internal drive for
> WinXP.  However, Redhat refuses to recognise the removable disk.  It is
> recognised during the boot sequence as drive hdc, but does not appear
> in /etc/fstab, /etc/mtab or on '/sbin/sfdisk -l'.  dmesg does complain
> that it has no driver.
>
> dmesg gives:
>
>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0x1860-0x1867, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
>     ide1: BM-DMA at 0x1868-0x186f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
> hda: IC25T048ATDA05-0, ATA DISK drive
> hdc: IC25T060ATCS05-0, ATA DISK drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
> blk: queue c0385f84, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
> blk: queue c0385f84, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
> hda: 93759120 sectors (48005 MB) w/1806KiB Cache, CHS=6201/240/63,
UDMA(100)