[ltp] cpu load on PCMCIA usage

Michael Selway linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 08:11:06 +0000

Dean L. Hedin writes:
 > Could be a PCMCIA config issue.  Early PCMCIA connects the device
 > just like 16 bit ISA device.  Later came cardbus to get faster transfers.
 > Check the PCMCIA HOWTO with regards to cardbus.

As I understand it, with PCMCIA cards, a.k.a "16 bit" cards, the
host interface just can't do much more the 14 Mbits/s.  So it it
fairly pointless buying a 100 Mbits/s ethernet pcmcia card, since
it can't talk to the host much faster than a cheaper 10 Mbits/s
ethernet card.  I've tried several such cards and they never
transfer at more than around 13-14 Mbits/s.

The newer cards, called cardbus cards, are "32 bit" and the
interface between them and the host is much faster.  100 Mbits/s
ethernet cardbus cards do give a real 100 Mbits/s throughput.
Again, I've tried several.

There is a slight physical difference between the cards presumably
so that cardbus cards won't fit into pcmcia-only sockets.  I think
it's a sliver of plastic on the side up near the host connector,
but I don't have any to hand at the moment to check.