[ltp] cpu load on PCMCIA usage

Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:34:27 +0100

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 07:41:18 -0500, Dean L. Hedin wrote:
> Is it the fact that the LinkSys card is not cardbus or that your
> PCMCIA controller is not cardbus?
>
> It would seem silly that someone would make a 100mb ethernet
> card that was not cardbus capable.

Although it seems silly, I saw 2 types of 100 mbit ethernet cards in a
shop last week. One was labeled 16 bit (I think it was PCMCIA), the
other one was labeled 32 bit (cardbus).

> Although I could imagine that they would allow it to plug into
> a 16bit only PCMCIA slot so that you could still use it.
>
> On Thursday 14 November 2002 07:05 pm, Maik Musall wrote:
> > Hello Dean,
> >
> > thanks for your elaborate answer. Now it seems clear that my LinkSys is
> > not cardbus and thus cannot achieve higher rates. I will try irqtune to
> > get response time back to reasonable values.
> >
> > But there's some thing that's unclear. Although someone already said
> > that card is 16bit (by looking at it), I remember having tried it with
> > Windows 2000, where it did achieve about 6-7 MByte/s throughput at
> > low cpu load. I don't know if I remember correctly since I almost
> > alwas run Linux and W2k only in a vmware session. I don't want

I think you can check the type of your card using something like cardctl
ident or cardctl config.

[...]

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG