[ltp] (no subject)

Noesis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 09:10:21 -0800

You didn't check the permissions of /dev/cdrom like it suggested.
I would try that before anything else.

Most 'stock' configurations keep /dev/*'s with just drw-r---- permissions
for security reasons.  My systems are like that - except for one in
which I use as a multimedia box (and thus burn a lot of CDs).  If you
need a regular user to access your cdrom(s) or other devices, you will
have to give them permissions to do so.

You seem like a pretty new user to Linux (and that is great!) but Red
Hat is not the distro I would recommend starting with.  I would
recommend one that you get a little more 'down and dirty' with
the operating system to configure/use like Slackware, Debian or
Gentoo.  Red Hat just kind of does it's own thing it seems. Just a
suggestion.  To each their own though.  Behind everything, Linux is
still Linux.  :)

Kind Regards,
  -Noesis